1. Both partners give and take. Each get their way sometimes and they compromise at other times.
2. Respect and value one another even when they have a different opinion.
3. Encourage future goals and ambitions.
4. Talk about feelings and avoid doing things that hurt their partner.
5. Neither one is afraid of the other.
6. Feel safe expressing yourself openly with your partner.
7. Share responsibility in decision making even when things don't go as planned.
8. Accept the differences in one another.
9. Encourage each other to have friends and activities outside the relationship.
Some tips to STRENGTHEN your boundaries:
1. Practice saying "NO" and not giving any reason why.
2. Engage in a conversation with someone about something you disagree on, and intentionally listen without making any arguments. See if you can learn something you didn't know by the end of the discussion.
3. Make a list of people you ENJOY being around and identify some of the specific qualities they have that you like.
4. Spend some time with a couple of people outside of your usual go to friends.
5. Schedule a visit with a therapist to help you identify some boundaries that you personally want to strengthen and create a personalized plan on how to achieve this goal.
6. Ask your friend to spend a day doing things that you like even if your friend or partner does not enjoy the activities quite as much as you do.
7. Make a conscience decision to not involve yourself in a friends life if they consistently bother you.